Checking LinkedIn settings for the first time in several years, I was disappointed to see their data-sharing options have multiplied, and they’re all set to “On”. 😠
According to the individual data pages, these are some of the ways they use user data:
- Your location, gender, age, education, employment history, etc. is used “to show you more relevant ads”.
- Websites you visit are shared with other websites “to help them better understand their audiences”.
- Data is sent to “trusted 3rd-party partners” for “research”.
To check your LinkedIn settings and to opt out, here’s the link: https://www.linkedin.com/mypreferences/d/categories/account
Go to the “Advertising data” and “Data privacy” sections, and then the various option pages one by one.
If LinkedIn (or indeed any web service) really valued users’ privacy, they would:
- Make data-sharing options off by default.
- Add a single global “No data sharing” option.
Come on LinkedIn, do the right thing.